— Rei Ryugazaki.
|Also known as|| Rei-chan (by Nagisa)|
Speedo Glasses (by Rin)
|Height||177 cm (5'10")|
|Weight||65 kg (143 lb)|
|Occupation|| 1st year High School Student (former)|
2nd year High School Student
|Affiliation|| Iwatobi High School|
Track Team (former)
|Events||100m butterfly, 4x100m medley relay|
|Japanese|| Daisuke Hirakawa|
Yōko Hikasa (Child)
Rei Ryugazaki (竜ヶ崎 怜 Ryūgazaki Rei) is one of the main characters of the anime series Free!. He is a butterfly swimmer and a 2nd year high school student at Iwatobi High School. Rei was once a member of the track team of Iwatobi High School before he joined its Swim Club.
Rei is a tall young man with short, dark blue hair and purple eyes. He wears red-framed glasses. His usual school uniform consists of light brown trousers, a white shirt with a red necktie, a dark gray buttoned up jacket and black and white sneakers. During the spring and summer, he wears his summer uniform that consists of gray trousers, a white shirt with short sleeves and a dark gray collar, a red dotted necktie and the black and white sneakers.
While swimming, he wears black long leg swim pants that have blue patterns on them.
Rei is considered handsome and intelligent because of his looks and good grades. He also has a penchant for beautiful things and the thought of exuding anything but beauty through his actions, causes him to dramatically lose his cool.
Rei may initially seem like a calm and composed character, but he is in actuality quite comical in a sense that he sometimes lets his confidence get the better of him. He is however, depicted to be a hardworking and determined individual, unwilling to relent to his inability to swim despite several failed attempts.
Rei has a theoretical approach when it comes to sports, as he usually calculates distance, angle, and other factors in his mind before actually making an attempt. Because of his rigid nature, he has a tendency to overlook the fun and enjoyment that comes with the activity. As Haruka told Rei, he needed to be "free" in order to swim properly, because he is constantly calculating and underestimating the water.
This article lacks character history. You can help out Free! Wiki by adding more content to the "History" section, and doing other helpful things to improve the section.
- Main article: Rei Ryugazaki/Plot
- Main article: Rei Ryugazaki/Relationships
- Main article: Rei Ryugazaki/Music
Creation and Conception
- Like all members of the Iwatobi High School Swimming Club, Rei has a female name.
- During a field trip in fifth grade, Rei accidentally left his underwear in the bath.
- Rei is the only member of the Iwatobi Swimming Club that has his body hair shaved (done by Nagisa).
- Rin described Rei's stroke pathetic.
- Rei owns a black and white mobile phone.
- Rei likes eating sushi.
- Rei likes reading, running, calculating and pole-vaulting.
- Rei's best subjects are Math and Chemistry, while he's bad at Art and Music.
- According to Rin, Rei has horrible English pronunciation.
- According to Rei, the Ryugazaki family has been pairing melon bread with barley tea since his grandfather's time.
|Nagisa Hazuki • Rei Ryugazaki • Gou Matsuoka • Chigusa Hanamura|
|Haruka Nanase • Makoto Tachibana • Tadanori Sera|
|Miho Amakata • Male Teacher|
|Aiichiro Nitori • Shouta Nakagawa • Takuya Uozumi • Kazuteru Minami • Iwashimizu Toru|
|Rin Matsuoka • Sosuke Yamazaki|
|Aki Yazaki • Asahi Shiina • Ikuya Kirishima • Nao Serizawa • Natsuya Kirishima • Nii Satomi • Shota Yazaki • Tomo Yuzuki • Sakuyuki Narukawa • Riku • Kakeri • Kazu • Wataru|
|Goro Sasabe • Mr Tachibana • Mrs Tachibana • Ren Tachibana • Ran Tachibana • Mrs Tamura • Nanako Hazuki • Kisumi Shigino • Hayato Shigino|